Oasis in the Desert

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Bumps along the way

Photo after I whacked the bridge
The 1977 GMC school bus mirror

We have not talked very much about our Mexican Cuisine. We will try to write a few blogs on the flavors of Mexico as we travel to different parts of Mexico. Needless to say, we have eaten well!

Things really started happening (and not necessarily good) after our departure from Catemaco. I did find (with the campground owner’s help) a salvage yard outside of Catemaco. There I purchased a 1977 GMC School Bus Mirror for 200 pesos to replace the passenger side mirror that I lost crossing the bridge in Poza Rica (before and after photo). It doesn’t look like the driver’s side mirror, but, hey, while I am in Mexico, I might as well look the part. A thorough parts cleanup, a few added bolts, and a PVC water pipe (spray painted black) produced the finished product.

To summarize the bad news…we had to replace the brakes, replace the passenger mirror, the generator has gone south (just after we crossed the border), and in San Cristobal the 120 volt system on the RV shorted out (both plug-in and generator) leaving us with only 12 volt power. In addition, we developed a water leak in the plumbing next to the water pump. (Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play.)

Not to be discouraged, after all we are in Mexico and a Mexican can fix anything. Well, a Mexican electrician looked at our electrical panel and said “I can’t fix that”. That is like a redneck saying “I can’t fix that with duct tape”. That is unheard of. I think I will try to find another electrician. If I can get the 120 volt system operational, I can fix the generator and the water leak myself.
Next post, San Cristobal – what a great city!

No comments: