Oasis in the Desert

Friday, March 6, 2009

Short stop in Zihautanejo

Our view from tableside at a restaurant in Zihautanejo
Zihautanejo sunset on the beach

Our camping space for the night in Zihautanejo


Lynne had asked me about any other harrowing experiences after reading my Windy Tale blog. Actually, we have had very few “incidents” during our journey. I will recap a few after we conclude the trip. We have been on the road with limited wireless access. As of today, March 6, we are back in the U.S. (south of Austin, TX) traveling north on I-35. No problems on the crossing. I will complete the blog over the next few days.

We reluctantly left fun-filled Acapulco and plotted our course for Zihautanejo. After we arrived in Zihautanejo, I wanted to shut down for the day. It may not have been the best decision. If you are going to spend several days in Zihautanejo, the journey from Hwy 200 to the campground is justified. If you are only spending the night, the winding, narrow, confusing route should not be taken and you better call or email ahead for reservations. Not only did we get lost, but I had to back up a one way street (after stopping traffic to disconnect the tow vehicle) and weave around parked autos until I turned the RV around. We finally just hired a taxi to show us the way and followed it to the campground.

Once we arrived, we found that the campground was full and we were turned away at the gate. Fortunately or unfortunately, we were rescued by neighboring property owner and for 200 pesos he would put us up for the night. I looked at the width of the entry gate into his “yard” and should have turned tail and ran, but I didn’t. With four different people giving me directions through the gate, I still managed to scrape the right rear side of the RV.

Once inside the “yard”, we looked like a 10 pound package in a five pound sack. We had joined a Canadian couple with a small travel trailer and there we were, two diehard campers packed in for the night. The next morning, with the help of five people giving me directions, I managed to back out of the gate without a scrape. I suggest to future RVers, drive on for a few miles to the nice campground located right off Hwy 200 in Ixtapa.
Next stop Cuyutlan, Colima, Mexico!

2 comments:

Lynne said...

It just gets better and better. Looking forward to hearing your 'after action' report. But take your time, get some rest and enjoy being home
We have been hearing horrible stories about crime in Mexico, kidnapping and drugs, so I did worried about you and "Tioga and George", so winding road and tight gates, while frustrating and harrowing, it could have been worse.

WELCOME HOME

Unknown said...

I'm sorry I didn't know you were heading for Zihau. I had an old girl friend from Louisville who is in the real estate business down there. Her son lives with her. Her name was Judy Wellons, if you ever go back. She was quite promiscuous and inventive!