Oasis in the Desert

Friday, June 17, 2011

Mexico, the most foreign of all countries outside the USA

Ah, the memories.  We traveled the US and Mexico for six years.  We have been on pretty solid land for two years now (2011) and the "hitch itch" has begun its infectious invasion.  I have been thinking about all the interesting people we met along the way and Mexico was full of kind, helpful, and eccentric  people and I am fondly remembering some of them in my "people along the way" blog.

     We decided to enter Mexico on the East Coast.  Actually, we easily crossed the border at Pharr, TX, close to McAllen.  The crossing was easy and we headed down Hwy 59 along the Emerald Coast of MX.  It was January and fairly cool and rainy.



     At the end of a long bumpy, tope  (Mexican Speedbump) infested drive, we pulled into RV campground El Zorro on the Pacific coast, known as the Emerald Coast.  Being the only souls there, we picked our ideal spot and I went to the house on the grounds to "check in".


     I was met at the door by a young woman who took me into a fair sized dining room that was empty.  There seemed to be other women moving around close by.  Shortly, a stately Mexican Gentleman appeared at my table and we exchanged greetings in Spanish.  I had taken two years of Spanish lessons and felt pretty smug about speaking the language.  We talked about price, length of stay, and amenities....HA.  A 110 plug and interesting grounds...Mexico at its best.  After a seemingly long conversation in Spanish, he said to me,  "Well, my English is certainly much better than your Spanish, so we will converse in English from here on".  I had a little trouble understanding him, but I was humbled.


     We were invited for coffee the next morning and he was no where to be seen.  Just a number of young women.  AH...the surprises in Mexico...more to come

No comments: