Oasis in the Desert

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Traveling.....How Long?

Beautiful Veracruz, MX.  Especially in the winter when the humidity subsides.  It was there that we met a couple who were spending their 30th winter in Mexico.  Both had an accent, seemingly German.  They seemed to be in every campground where we settled.  They were traveling in a pickup with a bed topper and pulling a small trailer, about 15 feet.  They were quite friendly and she spent her time reading and he would tinker with his equipment.  I was curious as to how long a couple could keep traveling in an RV, so I struck up a conversation with the Mrs.  She told me that they were in their young 80's and had gone south for 30 years, give or take.

Mid "sixties" river cruise in Veracrux, MX
      I asked her how happy she was with the small trailer and she said to me that it was the first year that they had towed a rig.  In years past, they just slept in the back of their pickup and cooked outside.  So, I asked what was wrong with the trailer.  She said,  it is just way too big to manage.  She hated it.  Ah,  reality check as I complained about the size of my 37 foot motor home. I was impressed and humbled.  More to Come

No comments: