Oasis in the Desert

Friday, June 24, 2011

The very first person I met "along the way"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME...AND MY SISTER

Today is my Birthday.  The number is what it is, I can't change that.  The interesting thing about my Birthday is that I was born on my sister's Birthday.  What a gift that must have been.  Our parents were in Alice, Texas.  Our father was a right of way man for Conoco Oil and probably why we both have the wanderlust.  My sister remembers everything about the day I was born, I don't.  Our Mother was 40 at the time and our father was 47.  In those days, that was old for parenthood. Our father died when I was 7 during a surgery to remove a  growth that turned out to be his only kidney.  In these times, that would be fodder for a lawsuit, not then.  I hardly remember him.

MY SISTER

My sister is probably the most interesting person I have known in my life.  She was a flight nurse during the Korean War and went on to earn a PhD in nursing and sometime in between, the mother of five children.  She has received three Fulbright Scholorships, two to Africa, one to Nepal.  She ended her career teaching in Mexico and is now retired in Mexico.  We are very different, even though we were born on the same day.

Charlotte, Herb, and Cindy

No comments: